We’re in that weird place between New Years resolutions (more vegetables! keeping up with friends! cleaning the bathroom regularly!) and the Super Bowl (chips! chips! chips!). The Leighto Greato balance is easy to guess: homemade beans, a crapload of cheese, tangy smashed avocado and, of course, a ton of crispy tortilla chips.
If you’re playing a Super Bowl long game, can I suggest making a pot of these black eyed peas this weekend? The leftovers will set you up perfectly for balanced, delicious (but still a little virtuous) Super Bowl nachos.
Flashback! One year ago on Leighto Greato: Chicken and Pesto Tortellini in Brodo
- Thick tortilla chips
- Black eyed peas
- Shredded cheese
- Pickled jalapeno rings, with juice
- Sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Puree ⅔ of the black eyed peas until smooth. If the puree is too thick, add a couple of tablespoons from the pickled jalapenos to thin it out.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay down a single layer of tortilla chips. Drop spoonfuls of the black eyed pea puree evenly on the tortilla chips, then sprinkle on the whole black eyed peas evenly. Top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melty.
- While the nachos bake, smash the avocados with 1-2 tablespoons of the pickled jalapeno brine, and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust.
- Once the nachos are done, top with pickled jalapeno rings, the smashed avocado and sour cream.
- Serve hot.