May I present, the famous Leighto-Greato Power Lunch, the first of its name, reinterpreted for winter. Over the summer, I built a simple grain salad for work lunches when the Boyfriend and I were gone every weekend and my Sunday nights were spent at 30,000 feet instead of making something delicious for dinner that would mean leftovers for lunch all week long.
Well, summer has gone and the Boyfriend is now the Fiance, but not much else has changed. Last week I was in Texas for a week of bachelorette-ing and wedding dress shopping and Thanksgiving-ing, and when I got home to NYC the only thing left in my fridge was a crumb that was even too small for a mouse. If I’d thought ahead, I would have made this winter version of my summer power lunch — roasted cauliflower, chewy farro, salty feta and olives tossed with crunchy arugula and a fresh lemon dressing. Crunchy, hearty, salty, tangy and delicious, and perfect after a Thankgiving week spent gorging on the jalapeno/bacon/cheesy/fried versions of everyone’s favorite holiday foods.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- ½ c. olive oil, plus 2 T.
- 1 c. farro
- 3 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. mustard
- 1 shallot, minced
- Handful of green olives, roughly chopped
- 4 oz. feta cheese, roughly chopped
- 5 oz. baby arugula
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop florets off cauliflower, and then dice the cauliflower stem into small bite-sized pieces.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and fresh-cracked black pepper.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Toast the farro for 2-3 minutes, until you can smell the nuttiness and it starts to brown.
- Add 2.5 cups of water and let it come up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Allow to simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- In a jar with a lid, combine ½ cup of olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, shallot, a fat pinch of salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Secure the lid and shake to combine until the dressing is emulsified, and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the roasted cauliflower, the cooked farro, the green olives, feta cheese and arugula. Toss with the prepared dressing, and adjust salt and pepper to taste.